Friday, May 9, 2008

Thoughts from a "non-mom"

Every morning I wake up and fix breakfast for the two most beautiful, spunky, amazing girls in the world. I dress two kids. I play with two kids. I discipline two kids. I bathe two, read to two, and two girls absolutely own my heart.

One daughter God gave to me through birth. The other he gave to me through the gift of adoption.

I am mom to both.

However, according to the Today Show, I am "mom" to one and "non-mom" to the other. In a Mother's Day contest this week viewers are asked to vote for amazing moms in several categories including The Working Mom, The Single Mom, and The Non-Mom Mom. Adoptive mothers are listed as "non-moms."

http://www.americasfavoritemom.com/mothers-day-2008/static/semiFinalists

Wow. I truly believe that adoption is a calling from the Lord. Adoption had strengthened my love and appreciation for both of my girls as I was not able to take for granted to many miracles that had to fall into place over the course of two and half years to bring me my sweet Moli.

To have my motherhood questioned is hurtful and insulting.

I ran across a quote from a children's book that I think sums up the definition of mother.

“For finding your mother, there’s one certain test. You must look for the creature who loves you the best.”
From “Little Miss Spider” by David Kirk

You can contact the today show at today@msnbc.com

No comments: