Monday, March 15, 2010

Not Just a Mom...


Lately I've been thinking about my roles. In this season in my life I have so many of them... The one my few blog readers want to hear about is my role as mom. My day is probably most consumed by this role- making breakfast, homeschooling, taxi-driving, soccer practice... that's how I spend most of my time, and I love that! I hope you can tell from my blog that I also love being a Child of the King. I pray that is evident. I love to serve Him and enjoy Him, although I don't always make the time for Him that I should.

The role I've be been thinking about lately is one I rarely share about here- my role as a wife. Sixteen years ago God blessed me with a best friend, and twelve years ago I married my best friend. Those of you who know Jamie know that he is the kindest man and best husband and father. He's the kind of guy who can hold down the fort if I need a night out. He's a great provider. He always puts others' needs ahead of his own.

We have lately been challenged in our awesome Sunday School class to take a look at the strengths and weaknesses in our marriage. We've been studying Song of Solomon. You'd think poor Kevin was teaching to a class of 5th graders with all the awkward giggles. This study has NOT been easy. Satan has reared his ugly head through sickness and stress as we tried to complete this study. (Of course he has- if God loves marriage, then of course Satan HATES it!)

One of our homework assignments was to go to a restaurant and order for each other, rather than ourselves. We finally got to have our date night this weekend. We went to a local seafood dive that gets national attention. (I must say I don't get the hype. It was good. But not stand-in-line-outside-for-two-hours good).

It was a little embarrassing to order the $22 seafood platter while Jamie ordered the crab cake over the fried green tomato, but I think we did a pretty good job ordering for one another.

Through this study we've realized how easy it is to get stuck in a soccer practice /dinner /bathtime /bedtime rut. It's been nice to be challenged to go beyond that. It's been fun to cook a little more, clean a little more, try to get out of my pajamas before he comes home. (Hey, don't judge! That can be tough when you homeschool).

I can't wait to see what God has in store for us in the next twelve years and beyond!

7 comments:

The Carters said...

Did you go to Hyman's? I went there once, and like you, it was good but not worth standing in line forever. Luckily the one time I went there was no wait :)

Barbra said...

Tara, I needed to hear this, I think! Our marriages are so important. Thanks!

Kimberly said...

oh and we only waited for 15 mins!!! :)

Kimberly said...

ha! we went to that same place on saturday night and i forgot how much it cost! it did seem overpriced. but girl, my shri,p were YUMMO!!!

funny thing, brett could order for me at ANY restaurant that we went to. i am so predictable. i could never order for him. this stufy sounds GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this [post - what a wonderful reminder that in the midst of all that we do - we are wives first.

Selina said...

This is a great post Tara. Thanks for sharing it. I need to sweep the dust off of my marriage and be a little more creative :)

Mario and Lisa said...

Beautifully said! BTW, great picture of the two of you.